Rapa Nui

Now , at 2200 hrs, we are sailing along in 15 k SE breeze 24 miles from the anchorage at Hanga Roa on Easter Island , Isla de Pascua , Rapa Nui. We shall heave-to and wait until dawn before anchoring.

‘Bobby’ with Emily aboard is making progress at 3 or 4 knots towards Easter Island. She is 295 miles away , so will be another 5 days , but it is looking very good. Today we had a good sailing day , with fairly gentle winds and warm sun. A shower after several days of flying spray felt good. Meredith made pizza for dinner. A cold beer on the poop deck and all is well.

Looks like another leg of the voyage is completed. The next leg is a little more challenging – worse weather and colder temperatures. That’s it for now.

Nearly Easter

One hundred and fifty miles to go to Easter Island. The wind has settled to about 20 knots today and we are sailing along very nicely. Sunny. No squalls. ALL going well , we should arrive tomorrow night , but we plan to drift around until daylight before anchoring. Reportedly there is a smallish sand patch that is desirable for anchoring that would be impossible to locate at night.

That would be 17 days from the Galapagos, about what I expected. We had several very light wind days initially , then plenty of wind. Motored about 2 -3 hrs in total. ‘Bobby’ is ploughing along at 3 – 4 knots , making the course towards Easter Island. She is 350 miles out so might take another 5 – 7 days. Then her work starts, repairs etc.

We will have a look at some moais amd get some groceries and have some undisturbed sleeps , then head for Valdivia.

Nearly Easter

One hundred and fifty miles to go to Easter Island. The wind has settled to about 20 knots today and we are sailing along very nicely. Sunny. No squalls. ALL going well , we should arrive tomorrow night , but we plan to drift around until daylight before anchoring. Reportedly there is a smallish sand patch that is desirable for anchoring that would be impossible to locate at night.

That would be 17 days from the Galapagos, about what I expected. We had several very light wind days initially , then plenty of wind. Motored about 2 -3 hrs in total. ‘Bobby’ is ploughing along at 3 – 4 knots , making the course towards Easter Island. She is 350 miles out so might take another 5 – 7 days. Then her work starts, repairs etc.

We will have a look at some moais amd get some groceries and have some undisturbed sleeps , then head for Valdivia.